Saturday, August 29, 2009

"We don't sleep! We never sleep!"

We're very lazy with M2's bedtime routine. He still nurses or rocks to sleep most nights and although we should, we haven't tried to get him to fall asleep on his own yet.

Tonight he was having a tough time falling asleep - he had drifted off and then popped his eyes open and was very alert. I threatened him by saying, "If you don't try to sleep I'm going to put you in your crib awake!"

After a few minutes he started tugging on my shirt and tried to twist my body so that I'd lift him up and carry him back to his room.

I played along and brought him back. He and M.G. share a bedroom right now and it takes her a long time to fall asleep at night. He was very good about being still and resting while I sang to them for a while.

Eventually I left and for about 30 seconds they were both calm and still. Then we heard them giggling very quietly together, but they were being still when I peaked in at them. Before long, they were doing their prairie dog routine and taking turns popping up and making loud squeak noises. Then they'd fall down on their beds giggling.

I love seeing how they play together now - how he looks up to her and how she finds him so funny. It was very difficult to break up that party.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I love this, so sweet. E has been into mimicking W the past few weeks, every little thing. But the one that gets me is the crying. If he cries, she starts crying too, with actual tears. I think part of it is empathy, and maybe a small part jealousy because if he cries he'll get attention? I'm still trying to figure it out. And fyi, W is into backward clothing now. Today he has all 3 articles of clothing on backward. The pants make him look like an oompa-loompa but whatever. He knows the tag goes in the back, but says that he "likes them better this way", so backwards we are. And he's been taking several trips to South Dakota recently (I assume you've seen him). Any house progress?