Sunday, December 20, 2009

The final countdown

December is moving along quickly! M.G. has been into her advent calendars this year and we're down to just 4 angels left to add to our advent angel chain that we were given. That surprised me this morning as I looked at the list of things I need to get done before we head out to visit family.

This time of year I get a little homesick for family traditions from my childhood, especially the family gatherings we used to have that now, of course, have changed as people have gotten older and families have grown.

We tried out a small tradition tonight. My mom's mom used to make jello Christmas trees for me and my cousins when we were down there over the holidays. She'd have cool-whip and sprinkles for us to decorate them with. I don't know why this was so exciting to me then, but I always looked forward to it. I inherited two of the tree molds and M.G. was very excited about the whole idea.

Unfortunately, neither of them like jello! She put on a good face for a few bites and M2 let his first blob of jello fall out of his mouth as he said, "yucky, yucky." So... maybe not the tradition for us. But I'm thinking they'll forget their dislike of jello by next Christmas.

She lives in her Cinderella dress now. The tiara is for when she is "princess Cinderella" and just the dress is for the rest of the time.

2 comments:

David said...

I desperately miss jell-o christmas trees at Grandma's.

Monkeymama said...

That should have said, "me, my brother, and cousins!" I was counting you as a cousin I guess. :) Do you have your own jello tree molds there?