Monday, January 11, 2010

Christmas Travels

Huge amounts of snow were forecast for the evening of the 23rd through the 25th in South Dakota and Minnesota, so we left home right after lunch to try to beat the storm. We had some freezing rain and slippery roads in SD and heard on the radio that they'd be closing roads on the 24th and 25th to keep people home. Things completely improved as we crossed the boarder into MN, where they use salt on the roads, and it was smooth sailing from then on.

We made it to the Twin Cities in time to have a birthday supper with Grandma B and then settled in with Grandma and Grandpa M for the storm.

On Christmas Eve we opened presents with Grandma and Grandpa B (in case we were snowed in on the 25th) and then they came with us for dinner at Grandma and Grandpa M's. We went to church and opened more presents that night.

Santa hat

M2's reaction to most of his gifts

Just a cowgirl and Mama reading books...

M2 looking smashing in his outfit from Grandma and Grandpa M

Reading Alphabeep!

We spent Christmas day relaxing with Grandma and Grandpa M and watching the snow fall. The kids played with their new toys and Papa and I enjoyed the holiday by each finding time during the day to take a 2 to 3 hour nap. Santa brought water bottles to the kids (among other things) and M.G. still talks about that - wondering how Santa knew she needed a water bottle and how he knew pink was her favorite color. It's the thing she mentions when people ask what she got for Christmas.
We have countless photos of M.G.'s profile covered in hair.

Same excited face, this time for a toothbrush.
We had our Christmas celebration with Papa's relatives on the 26th. And December 27th was the rescheduled Christmas party for my side of the family, since the 25th had so much snow.

On the 28th, Grandma M took M.G. to her first movie - The Princess and the Frog. I came along too. I think M.G. enjoyed it. She was glued to the screen during the show and afterward she mentioned how it was like a giant TV. M.G. also filled up the Build-a-Bear frog that Grandma and Grandpa M gave her. It was a fun process and M.G. enjoyed the whole morning of fun.

The 29th was M.G.'s 5th birthday! That will have its own post.

We got together with my mom's sister's family on the 30th for our annual bingo game. The kids are serious about their bingo! M.G. repeated every number that Grandma B called and payed close attention. M2 spotted some hand sanitizer on the prize table and yelled, "I want soap! I want soap!" until his card got its first bingo and he could claim it as his own.

"My soap!"

Don't you wonder what M2 and my uncle are talking about?

We had a pretty low key New Year's Eve hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa B. Grandma and Grandpa M came over to my parents' for dinner on New Year's day and then we drove home on the 2nd. What a fun end to 2009!

1 comment:

David said...

I assume M2 is discussing Bingo strategy...