Thursday, July 01, 2010

Fun with reading

M.G. checked out a non-fiction book about dinosaurs from the library yesterday. I was reading it to her while the younger two slept and came to a dino (Coelophysis) that I was having trouble pronouncing.

M.G.: It's SEE-lo-FY-sis.
Me: That's right! Wait, how did you know that?
M.G.: That's how Grandma B would pronounce it.
Me: Oh. Wait, what? Did Grandma read you a different dinosaur book?
M.G.: No, it is the dinosaur from Cam Janson and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones. She reads me that.

This morning I was reading another library book, Lyle Finds His Mother, to M2. One of the characters stares in amazement at Lyle's mother. M2 shouted, "Just like Ping Pong Pig!" It took me a while to figure it out, but characters in that book also stare in amazement.

M2 has started to realize that reading has something to do with the words and letters he sees. We were eating supper with my parents and he was examining his dessert. Carefully he spelled, "O-R-E-O." Then he shouted, "That spells chocolate cookie!"

No comments: