Monday, August 16, 2010

Kindergarten Open House

This afternoon we (Grandma B, M3, M.G., and I) went to M.G.'s kindergarten open house. She and I were both so excited to see her new classroom, meet her teacher, and get a feel for where she'd be spending her time.

Her teacher gave us a little check-list of activities to do in the classroom. We put her supplies in her cubby, found her coat hook, learned about how she'll select her hot lunch choice, and a variety of other things. Her teacher seems very friendly.

We also walked around the building and found the lunch room, gym, music room, art room, bathrooms, and library. The school has a really nice looking library.

M.G. enjoyed herself and liked seeing the room, but was kind of overwhelmed. She was doing her zone-out thing that happens if she is having trouble taking everything in. I'm sure she'll adapt after the initial excitement wears off.

Wednesday is her first day. We'll drop her off at the outside door of the school where her class lines up and walks in together every day when the bell rings. Parents are asked to drop-off and pick-up outside of the building.

I don't feel the need to be in her classroom during the school day and am not going to try finding child care so that I can be a class mom (especially because she said she'd rather I not.) But, I would enjoy dropping her off at her classroom sometimes and seeing what she's been working on. Or to have the chance to just say hi to her teacher occasionally and get a feel for how things are going.

I am sure she'll do fine and that the year will be good for her, but I'm so curious about all she'll get to learn and all the fun she'll have. It will be a big adjustment for me to back away from knowing all the details of her day. It seems strange that I won't get to witness any of these new adventures after being the main person in charge of adventures up until now.

1 comment:

David said...

Now you're the main person in charge of listening to her adventures and encouraging her to find more!