Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Last road-trip post!

Spending a day in New York City was high on our priority list for this vacation.  I really enjoy just walking around the city and there is always more on our list to check out on some future visit.  My grad school roommate lives and works in NYC and it's always fun to catch up with her.  I do also like to live vicariously through her when I hear about her life there.

 I (and I think Papa) were as excited as M2 to ride the ferry.  The view from the boat was great, both of the Statue of Liberty and the skyline of Manhattan.

We check off another of M.G.'s request - NYC hot dog from a cart!  M3 tried a little NYC hot dog bun.

The entrance to Central Park that is off Columbus Circle wraps up so much of what is iconic NYC in my mind.  How many countless times have I heard about that corner of the city with each Thanksgiving parade!  It makes me smile every time I get to stand there and I love bringing the kids along (even if they probably won't remember it!)

We attended Mass at St Patrick's Cathedral that evening.  It is beautiful and huge inside.  I enjoyed experiencing something so familiar with so many people from all over.

On our other visits to New York City we started by walking from Grand Central station to Central Park.  This time we started at Battery Park and didn't get to Midtown until early evening. 

 Times Square was much busier and flashier at this time of the day!

The kids had a lot of fun on the train back to Tarrytown even though it was after bedtime by that point.  We learned that the promise of a fruit cup when we got back to the car would always give them an extra boost at times when they started to get a little cranky.  (I think they are nibbling on Goldfish crackers here...)

Here we are in Champaign, IL.  I did not expect our walk on campus to bring back so many memories of baby M.G.  She was 18 months when we left Illinois and as soon as we saw this Quad I thought about how much fun she had running on those sidewalks when she first learned to run!

Champaign, IL
 Madison, WI

 

The kids learned how to beat box by watching the Electric Company on PBS.  They will go on streaks where they try to beat box all the time.  We've had several talks about appropriate beat boxing locations.  Walking up and down State Street in Madison they were really getting in to it.  We started teasing them about putting their hats down for some money once they practice a bit more.  Here they are performing.

Fountain near Engineering Hall in Madison.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Sarah, these are great pics. My kids enjoy beat boxing, too. I'm so sorry we didn't get a chance to see you when you were in NY!