Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 2014

August was a nice mix of days at home and a trip to Minnesota. The kids fill up the days with playing outside, playing inside, and an occasional park, library, or museum trip. We've been going to the pool with Papa after supper a few times a week. (No sunscreen needed and 2 adults!)

M4 finds the ball popper so funny!
 M4 has really gotten into playing with the big kids. Instead of just following them around he pretends with them and can participate a little.

Driving to their camp site.

He continues to enjoy stories. Hand, Hand, Fingers Thumb is a top favorite and he can sort-of recite it to us if he wants us to read it to him. He also loves to look at this little baby-safe book of family photos. He points to each person and names them. Sometimes he gets his toy phone (still a top favorite toy) and points to who he is calling.

One day M.G.'s "special job" was to make this t-shirt bag. (Only way I could guarantee that I'd make the time to help her with it, sadly.) We were given a similar t-shirt bag at the 4th of July parade and we liked the idea. She cut the arms and neck out of a t-shirt and then I showed her how to use my sewing machine to sew the hem. She did the sewing herself!

This shirt was free with the summer reading program a few years ago. She was excited to bring the bag to the library for her books. The children's librarian saw her bag, loved the idea, and showed it to all the other librarians as an idea for the future. She felt pretty proud!



Papa worked on a house project this month. This kitchen wall has bugged me since we moved in. I hate how in photos of our big events we have this big plain back drop. We had trouble deciding what to do with it or finding art work. I took this photo and messed with it in paint to see what I thought might work.



This is our finished product! Papa attached bead-board and trim to the wall. My mom found beautiful cloth napkins and framed them as a gift to us. They add some nice color to that big empty wall.









M.G. stays in Minnesota for a week with her grandparents each summer. Now that M2 has finished kindergarten it was his summer to go as well. They decided it would be fun to stay together instead of alternating where they stayed. Since Papa had a work trip that week, I decided to bring the younger two to MN too. We spent half the week with Grandma and Grandpa M while the older two were at my parents. Then we switched houses for the 2nd half of the week. Papa was able to join us for the last couple days! It was a fun week for all of us filled with all sorts of activities!
Swimming at Grandma and Grandpa M's house!

Watching ducks with Grandma and Grandpa B!

We're wrapping up summer vacation here! I have meetings tomorrow, so the little two are headed to daycare for a practice day. We're so glad that Grandma and Grandpa M are coming for a few days this week and then my parents will come next week to help out for the first day of university class. School starts on Tuesday! I think everyone has some jitters, but is very excited.

I took the girls to Great Clips on Sunday and Papa trimmed the guys' hair. He invested in clippers to help it go easier. We took a few photos with everyone looking sharp. M3 wanted a short haircut and has been talking about it for a couple months. She waltzed right in and had a great time. I'm not quite used to her new look, but she really likes it. She'll be going to preschool in the mornings on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and then daycare those afternoons.

I need to bring in a family photo and a photo of M4 for his new daycare classroom (Toddler 1). This was our first take and it melts my heart. I'm sure I'm going to be looking at it a few times during that first week of school!

And here is the whole gang! Now I won't feel as stressed about getting the perfect first day of school photos. (Or posting them any time soon!) I enjoyed this summer so much, but it just went so quickly. I'll miss them all once they head back to school and daycare. The older 3 are so excited though, that it will be great to hear about their adventures!


No comments: